No fewer than 20 people have been feared dead as a result of the outbreak of gastroenteritis disease in Bauchi state, the state commissioner of health, Dr Aliyu Mohammed Maigoro has said.
Maigoro who was addressing a press briefing in his office on Tuesday said that the state has so far recorded 322 cases, adding that 21 samples were collected and tested out of which 19 were confirmed positive of v. Cholerae.
According to Dr Maigoro the first index case was recorded on 24th April 2021 at Burra General Hospital, Ningi local government area of the state was a 37-year-old housewife, adding that in all, 9 local government areas have reported the case.
The commissioner said the woman complained of abdominal pains, watery diarrhoea and vomiting and was successfully managed and discharged alongside others.
“The state ministry of health was notified of sporadic cases of gastroenteritis in Magami community, Burra ward of Ningi local government area by the area health officer in Burra district on the 11th May 2021”, the commissioner said.
Dr. Maigoro said following intensive surveillance by the officials of the ministry through the State Primary Healthcare Development Agency, cases were detected in Warji, Bauchi, Giade and Toro local government areas of the state.
He said 147 cases were recorded in Bauchi LG, one in Darazo, Ganjuwa 7, Giade 10, Misau 31, Ningi 51, Shira 1, 58 in Toro and 16 in Warji Local government governments respectively.
He said measures taken so far to prevent further spread include reactivation of the already existing state Public Health Emergency Operation Center and the development of an Incident Action Plan.
The commissioner also noted that isolation centres have been set up in all General Hospitals of the affected LGs while surveillance activities have been heightened to detect and report cases promptly.
Dr. Maigoro who noted that the outbreak response is being supported by relevant ministries, departments and agencies as well as partners such as SEMA, BASEPA, RUWASSA, ATBUTH, WHO, UNICEF, Red Cross, among others said 4 cholera treatment centres have been activated in Bauchi metropolis, in ATBUTH, SHB, Urban maternity and PHC Kandahar.
He said chlorination of wells and deco termination of households, drugs and consumables, mobilization of doctors, nurses and other paramedics have been put in place to manage further damage.
The commissioner advised residents to ensure that water is boiled before drinking as well as ensuring frequent hand washing as part of preventive measures, adding that Governor Bala Mohammed has approved the release of funds to facilitate the response activities.