During their 2023 Hajj exercise in Saudi Arabia, nine pilgrims from Kano State consumed poisonous food made by local vendors, according to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).
The commission, PREMIUM TIMES reports, said contrary to reports that there was a cholera outbreak among pilgrims from Kano, nine of them had diarrhoea after eating unhygienic delicacies from local food vendors in Mecca.
“A temporary surveillance clinic was opened at the affected house when about nine pilgrims suffered from mostly diarrhoea which medical checks and investigations confirmed to be food poison from a local delicacy,” the commission said.
The commission further revealed that the medical team intervened, adding the affected victims had been discharged with no further issues
The head of NAHCON’s medical team, Usman Galadima, lamented the pilgrims did not adhere to the words of advice given to them.
“Last night (Saturday), when the medical team moved in, to handle the situation, the pilgrims affected have stabilised, (been) discharged and had no further complications, neither from the first set of patients nor any other pilgrim in the house.
“With all the advice given to pilgrims to desist from patronising such unauthorised food, the advice fell on deaf ears,” he said.