Last Thursday, Bello Turji, a bandit warlord confronted a military formation in Zamfara State, killing Major Sampson Raymond, the Commander of Sector 2 alongside two of his men. He is the eighth senior Nigerian Army officer lost to insurgency so far.
According to findings, there are other seven senior officers who paid the price like Raymond. Although, they were killed by Boko Haram insurgents between 2016 and 2021. Raymond was a victim of Turji’s vengeance over the military bombardment of his house in Fakai, a village in Shinkafi local council, Zamfara.
About three weeks ago, two military jets acting on rival-based intelligence, ambushed Turji’s settlement in Fakai village, Shinkafi local council, Zamfara State. Following the invasion, locals in Fakai paid a sympathetic visit to Turji in fear of retaliating against them.
A few days after the locals visited him, Turji said his gang will resume its havoc on harmless citizens to retaliate against the fortnight invasion.
WHO IS MAJOR RAYMOND?
The slain senior officer like others who answered the call before him was a determined fighter, WikkiTimes learnt.
According to Premium Times, Raymond before his death had given his contact to locals to call him whenever they smell the presence of terrorists.
“The team leader, Major Sampson Raymond, gave his contacts and that of other soldiers to residents to call them if they ever come under attack,” an anonymous source told the paper. “We all knew him (the major). Anytime we anticipated bandits’ attack, we would just call him and he would come. Even on Wednesday, he was called by the people of Yar Dolen Kaura but unknown to them the bandits had stationed some of their men on the road.”
Brigadier General CA Baushe, the Commander, 1 Brigade Nigerian Army in Gusau, further sang Raymon’s praises. According to him, Raymond and the other slain officers have worked gallantly to safeguard the people of the area in an applaudable way.
Baushe stated this while hosting the Emir of Kaura Namoda, Alhaji Sanusi Muhammad Ahmad Asha earlier today.
The emir eulogised the late commander, saying he worked round the clock and had been responding to distress calls timely and gallantly. The emir further prayed for the repose of his soul including the other officers.
The monarch also commended the force’s efforts for the timely posting of a new commander to replace Raymond.
Asha who was accompanied by the Emir of Zurmi, Alhaji Muhammad Bello Sulaiman and other district heads urged the newly deployed sector commander to work assiduously like his predecessor.
However, Brigadier General Baushe reiterates that the Nigerian Army will not relent in its efforts to ensure the restoration of normalcy in the state, saying the force will gear up to end the senseless killings and maiming of innocent citizens by bandits.
He thanked the emir and his entourage for the condolence visit. According to him, the visit indicates a good working relationship between the military and traditional rulers in the state.